Tuesday, April 30, 2013

DIY Herringbone Canvas Art

Tawk of the day:
"To pray is to let go and let God take over."
    Philippians 4:6-7


                        

I had this piece of canvas art I got for a $1.00 at Gabriel Brothers a while back.
I decided I didn't like the picture that was already on it, so I was trying to come up with some ways to use it as a DIY project...
I thought about using it to transfer a photo onto like you see all over pinterest, but I didn't want to end up with a 'Pintrosity' so I decided not to do that one.. lol

First, I ran the canvas under water until eventually the paint from the picture came off (as you can see in the second picture.)



I searched all over pinterest of what I could do with it..
In comes the herringbone print.  I found a whole bunch of them on Pinterest, but the one that really caught my eye wasn't actually a DIY... It was an actual print that you could purchase from a website.  My computer wont let me download the picture so sorry about that..


First I got out some paint colors that would go perfectly in my master bedroom:
-gray
-yellow
-gold
-dark green
-& a muted greenish color


After painting in different strokes and whatnot until I got the desired look.. this is what I was left with!


First I tried using 'froggy tape' to use, but the tape just was not cooperating with me! .. 
I then decided to use electrical tape.. (it stuck so well to canvas!)
I cut the tape in 4 inch strips.
I started from one corner and just worked from there, sticking the tape in a herringbone design..
I just kind of eyeballed the spaces between the tape and it came together really well!
When I was done, I took some strips off to give it more of a unique look.
I then spray painted over it with white.


Now is the fun part... start peeling the strips off and marvel at your masterpiece! ..
I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out! and it matches the master bedroom great!
Here are a few more finished pictures:






** THIS PIECE IS NOW AVAILABLE IN MY ETSY SHOP!**Please go check it out!
(www.Etsy.com/shop/JHouseTawk)

4 comments: