Thursday, January 10, 2013

ASCP Old White end table & Review

Happy Thursday!
I have a little end table post to show you today that I painted with my Annie Sloan OLD WHITE Chalk paint and soft wax!
I will talk about how I did it and how I like the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. 
Here is the little chippy end table all in her glory..

I have a pretty big living room with a large sectional, but only one matching end table with my coffee table.
I had this little guy in my kitchen, serving as nothing more than a place to pile junk mail, & misc. stuff.
When I got my ASCP in the mail the other day, I had it in mind to do my antique buffet in, but I thought about it and figured I'd better start small.
So after looking at my living room I figured it'd work great as a side table for the hubby's end of the couch ;)


Here is a more close up picture.
Sorry the pictures are not the greatest..
I actually have a great camera, I just suck at editing and getting great light... any suggestions?! lol

Here is what my little table looked like before.
It started as a pale yellow table.. and was the very first piece of furniture I ever painted! lol..
I think it was one of the first 3 blog posts I ever did.. HA
Anyways.. I started painting immediately with the ASCP, without doing anything except wiping it off with a rag.
I only did one coat, wanting more of a distressed & sloppy look.
It dries almost instantly! .. I swear 5 minutes tops .. Amazing stuff.
And even better, you can't even smell it that much.. seriously, it's like practically organic.
I then started waxing it. Working with only an ordinary brush. I'm too cheap yet to spend $35 on a wax brush. I know people say you can't put a price on something THAT great at applying wax, but it's just not in the budget right now. Maybe after I get my Etsy Shop going! ? :)
I am pregnant right now so my nose is very sensitive, so to me this wax was pretty fumey!
I put the lid back on and took it out to the garage to work on it.
I continued to wax.. I worked a little bit at a time, wiping & buffing after applying... ( I know people say to wax and let sit overnight, but I was going off another blogger and this is how she does it.. and it worked fine.. the wax didn't all come off.) .. I let it sit out in the garage for a few hours and then brought it in to the living room to its new home spot.
VERY VERY LITTLE wax goes a long way! . . Do not glob up your brush with wax and just start going to town. It's smooth (like crisco, really) and it brushes on great. I've heard you could just use an old rag as well, but I used a brush for this piece)
After applying, I sanded to distress. Distressing, in my opinion is a lot more convenient.. That way you do not have a pile of dust from sanding before you wax..
I'm not really sure you can mess this up in any way, other than if you use too much wax.
The chalk paint is very easy to work with and dries instantly.
The wax is not too fumey and from what I've heard and read, it's a lot better to breath in than other top coats like poly and minwax wax paste.. I don't know though, I've never used them.. Just going off of research.
I like how the stuff is what they say, "Almost Organic" on the Annie Sloan website video.
I have yet to try making my own chalk paint, but I know a couple recipes to make it and I'm sure I'll try it on a piece some day or another.
But all in all, I really liked my experience with the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  It's great, the price of it is a turn off, but I think it's worth it!
Check out a few other pics.









No comments:

Post a Comment